NFMTC offers two entry level courses. They are the 12 – 15 weeks Kisarvik Program and the 2 weeks Pre-training workshop. Both these courses start your career in the Marine Industry. They are designed to help you decide whether you are interested in a marine industry career – be it fishing in the off-shore or in-shore vessel, working in a processing plant, or on the sealift or research vessel. Listed below are the steps needed to take in completing an application to our program.
- Complete the application form download a PDF.
- Complete the reading and literacy assessment – a copy of both are available from your Community Agency, such as the Hunters and Trappers Associations, Nunavut Arctic College, Economic Development Officer and your Community Liaison Officer.
- Request and submit a Criminal Record check with your application.
- Request and submit a letter stating the results of your Tuberculosis (TB) test from your Health centre.
- Provide readable copies of the following ID’s with your application – Birth Certificate, GN/government-issued photo ID, i.e. driver’s license – or any other photo identification. NTI card, health card, etc.
- Ensure your documents are not expired and are in good condition.
- Deadline to receive documents is 3 weeks before the start of the course.
- Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and any missing documentation will be requested.
- All applications must have all documentation to be considered.
- Once the applications have been reviewed for its completeness, a list of potential students will be prepared.
- All potential students will be interviewed, either by phone or in person.
- Students will be chosen based on the following:
- Completeness of application form
- Reading assessment – completed and scored
- Criminal record check
- TB results
- Identification documents provided
- Students will be notified at least one week before the beginning of the course that they have been accepted.
- For our SVOP courses you will only need to fill in the first two pages of the application and come to class with a valid copy of your photo ID and your Birth Certificate.
PDF Applications should be submitted to:
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax – 1-867-979-5862
In Person – Building 208 in Iqaluit
By Mail – Box 1349, Iqaluit, NU
Box 4610, Hay River, NWT